Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wine Review I - Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet Sauvignons are among the most popular red wine varieties in the world.  They are dry and full flavored, commonly described with essences of berry, currant, herbaceous, bell pepper, and oak.  Cabernet Sauvignons have high tannin content and high alcohol levels which can make a young bottle taste harsh.  As this wine matures, the flavors remain complex, but smoothen out. 


Because Cabernet Sauvignon is a bold and assertive wine, it can overwhelm light delicate dishes.  And, the high alcohol levels don’t pair well with spicy foods.  Cabernet Sauvignons pair best with grilled meats, steaks and dishes with cream sauces, as they neutralizes the tannins, allowing the fruits of the wine to be more noticeable. 

Today, I am recommending two California Cabernet Sauvignons – Napa Valley’s Turnbull and Central Coast’s Cupcake.

Turnbull is one of my all-time favorites.  The wine I am having today is a 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon.  It is dark and very, very smooth.  It opens with black cherry and currants and ends with the richness of oak.  Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon is full-bodied and velvety.  It will be perfect with tonight’s grilled steaks.  My 2007 bottle was $40.  If you can find it, also try the 2001 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon.  That was a great year for Cabernet Sauvignons coming out of Napa Valley - and the Turnbull is especially smooth.


The second California Cabernet Sauvignon I recommend is Cupcake Vineyard’s 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.  It's a fantastic bargain at $8 to $10 a bottle.  This wine brings to the palate, flavors of blackberry and cassis.  I also detect a peppery essence in Cupcake's Cabernet Sauvignon.  It’s a great wine to stock up on for gatherings with friends or afternoons on the back deck.  I find this wine to be better when chilled. 

            
I hope that you enjoy these California Cabernet Sauvignon selections as much as I do.

Begrudgingly,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment