Friday, October 14, 2011

The Kindness of a Curator


Today, I was checking the Internet to see what exhibits are currently at the MOMA.  I perused the work of several artists and stopped on some paintings by Bill Traylor.  In the midst of my familiarity and appreciation for Traylor’s work, what instantly came to mind was my introduction to his story and his work – brought to me by the kindness of a curator. 

Last year, I was visiting the Alliance Theatre at the Woodruff in Atlanta to see an evening play.  I had some time before the play started, so I ordered dinner at the Arts Center restaurant, Table 1280.  There happened to be a reception that evening in the same lounge where I was having dinner.  While sipping a dry Cabernet, I admired the elegance of this group for whom the reception was in honor. I listened in on a conversation or two about music, the arts, endowments and installations.  It turns out that these were scholars of the arts and curators and directors of the High Museum of Art.

At one point, one of the curators who had been honored that evening stepped to the bar to have her drink refreshed.  Having some knowledge of her accomplishments from the evening’s speeches, I congratulated her on her recent installation in the Rita Richman Gallery and told her that I was in Atlanta for a couple of days and was seeing a play that evening.  She gave me her card and invited me for a tour inside the High Museum the next day.

I thoroughly enjoyed the play, The Nacirema Society, that evening.  The next day, I headed back downtown to the Woodruff Arts Center’s High Museum where I was given a private tour with this extraordinary woman who I met the evening before.  She walked me through the gallery gifting me with her knowledge of ancient and contemporary art. 

We stopped at a Bembe mask from the Republic of Congo, where she described it being used in initiation rituals by the powerful Alunga men’s organization.  She detailed the eyes of the mask painted white, indicating supernatural vision.   

    
                                         

She stopped by several carved figures and explained their history, origin, and significance – like this 19th century Lobi sculpture called “Seated Figure,” carved to protect individuals and the community.



She was knowledgeable and passionate as she described the technique of contemporary artist, El Anatsui’s, metal cloth sculpture.  



She explained that we were looking at bits of aluminum from the necks and tops of discarded liquor bottles woven together. 


She used the motion of her arms to describe the motion of the sculpture with its deep folds and bands of color.

When my tour concluded, I found myself at the top of a stairway.  I think she noticed that I couldn’t keep my eyes off this amazing black, glass chandelier that hung above the stairs.  So, she shared with me the history of that chandelier, too. 



Thank you, Carol, for sharing your knowledge and your kindness…

Begrudgingly,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment