Sunday, October 9, 2011

Korean Festival at Overpeck Park

There is nothing better than the combination of good food, good music and good weather.  I’ve hit the Crawfish Festival, the Garlic Festival, the River Blues Festival and even the Shad Festival.  Today, I went to the Korean Festival. Traditionally held in New York, the festival was moved to the new Overpeck Park in NJ this year because of the huge turn-out that was expected.  


We got about 4 blocks from the festival park ground when we figured out that it would be smarter - and quicker - to circle the highway back home and grab our bikes to ride back down.  It was a beautiful day for a bike ride anyway.

There were vendors selling everything from music CDs to shoes to jewelry, plus every kind of Korean food you could dream of.  On my way to the scallion pancakes that I had been craving all day, I stopped to watch a wresting competition and a parade of traditional Korean musicians. 


          
Then, I caught a kimchi preparation demonstration. (Kimchi is a spicy, fermented cabbage served with most Korean meals.)


And, even though I could not get close enough to the main stage to see them, I heard the live sets from superstar Korean pop bands, TVXQ and Beast.

So, I sat at a table under a beautiful blue, kite-filled sky, listed to great music from bands that were new to me, and enjoyed my scallion pancakes and cold tea to wash it down.

It was well worth the bike ride.

Begrudgingly,
BB

5 comments:

  1. Wow, a wrestling and good food! Wish I was there :[ You have a nice blog. Keep up the good work.

    And please come join my blog. FEAR NO DREAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Enigma Quin. I will definitely check out your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that those lovely bikes got put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was out of town last weekend and missed this festival... Many of my friends were there and I heard the 2PM (K-Pop band) show was awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience on your blog!

    ReplyDelete