Thursday, October 6, 2011

Look Who's Puzzled

[If you haven’t read my last blog, Puzzled, posted on 10/3, read that one first and come back.]

In my last blog post, I shared a short story that I wrote called Puzzled.  The story is told from a voice that is confused and saddened as she realizes that the world as she knew it didn’t exist anymore.  The story explores the dark depths of the character as she works her way through her despair. 

The story progresses with the character gradually making it through her hopelessness and once again relishing the simple pleasures in her life.  At the end of the story, readers are surprised when they think this depth and detail of depression was rooting itself in the little girl, Gracey. 

But the voice of the story is not Gracey’s.

Here are some excerpts to provide hints as to who's voice it is: 
--  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  -- --  --  -- 
    Today, my world is hard.

I close my eyes and wish that my dull brown day would leave me. 

     Does he not sense this nothingness?

Let this brown stiffness give way to the soft blue light of day.

I succumb to the shadow and allow it to embrace me… to hold me still and quiet.

      A large shadow makes its way over me.

I am frozen under the shadow that reaches down towards me from beyond.

    A strong current of air blows through my hair and then settles.

    In amazement, I stare at the old cottage, again standing before me.

The brown hardness is to my right and left, but behind me.

Eventually, those things that are familiar to me will return.

The hard background that had surrounded me allowed the sunshine back in – even
guided it with an outline.


[Did you figure out who the voice belongs to?]

Begrudgingly,
BB

3 comments:

  1. This is very creative, it's ingenious for the voice to be coming from the character in the puzzle itself. I had to think about it at first but I get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, Rain!!

    There is a reason why her world was described as brown. It's because brown is the color of puzzle boards when the pieces are off. The shadow in the story is from the little girl's hand reaching down to place the puzzle pieces. When she begins to see the cottage and other familiar things again, she is seeing the puzzle pieces that have just been put back into the puzzle.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete