Friday, September 30, 2011

Two Foxes

Nicholas is headed out to the mountains today.  He goes way out in the middle of the woods, an hour north of Laporte, Pennsylvania.   I was so proud last week to have made a turkey pot pie from scratch.  Nicholas is actually building a small cabin from scratch.  That is an amazing thing to me whether in the city or the country.  It’s a skill and a talent that I certainly don’t possess. (I found out what a sump pump was just last year.)   To see the progress of a house being put up board by board, tile by tile is quite impressive.  I’m looking forward to blogging some how-to’s on home improvements and building tips in coming posts.

But, for this weekend, I decided to stay put and not take the trip out to the mountains.  I thought of my top 3 reasons why based on the last time I was there:

3.   When pitch black outside, it was hard to tell whether the eyes glowing back at me in the night belonged to a raccoon or a black bear.
2.   I spotted what I thought were two crabs alongside of a rock.  Turned out they were spiders.
1.   With the cabin being a work in progress, the bathroom is now an oversized paint bucket with a Glad bag and kitty litter, topped with a toilet seat cover.

That was enough for me to take a pass. 

But, I did ask Nicholas what was drawing him out.  He said:

3.   I stood on a hill overlooking a mountainside and wondered if a Native American stood in that same place before me looking at the same mountainside.  I wondered what he was thinking.
2.   I sat motionless in my tree stand and watched the randomness in the patterns of falling leaves.
1.  I smelled wood burning as I watched two foxes wrestle.  They didn’t know I was there. 


Seeing what others see may just change the perspective.

Begrudgingly,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment