Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guarnaschelli Fever

Back from the country and now it’s time to share some of my own tried and true interests.  Where should we start?  Cooking, live theater, dance, writing…?  All of those wonderful perks that come with living within a major metropolitan city.  How about the experience of eating at a restaurant owned by your favorite chef from The Food Network?

I have been a huge fan of the show “Chopped” since it came on the air.  I watch it every Tuesday night, and sometimes on the weekends.  What a rush to see those chefs frantically combining their secret ingredients to create the perfect flavor profile.  But what I love the most are the judges.  I don’t know if it is careful editing or what, but I relish the moments when the contestant chefs crack a joke or try to make light of their undercooked lentils and the judges stare back with that “I am not in the least bit amused” look.  Wipes the smile right off their faces.  And then there is that uncomfortable silence followed by a video cut to a competing chef sneering.  Great formula,  producers!

Even though I have gotten an occasional chuckle from blogs out there urging the judges to 'take the 4x4s out of their asses,' I really am a fan of theirs.  Especially, Alex Guarnaschelli.  Her manner, her demeanor, the way she doesn’t let the men judges bulldoze her… she’s got that no-nonsense something that makes me think this lady can cook!  And, when I finally did get to her restaurant, Butter, I found out that she really could. 

Having lived and worked in NYC for years, I never – ever – slipped to reveal any inkling of excitement any time that I saw a celeb.  From sitting behind Gweneth Paltrow at Jerry’s… to sharing lipstick tricks with Naomi Cambell at Merc… to bumping into Anthony Kiedis on Greene Street… to wishing I had bumped into Robert De Nero when I saw him crossing the street in front of the Soho Grand… to burying my head into my computer when Leonardo DiCaprio walked into our office loft when he should have been at the Oscar’s that night for his Titanic nomination - - nothing and no one could cause me to flinch. 

But sitting at Butter, braised short rib in hand, I turned to look towards the kitchen just in time to see Alex Guarnaschelli standing there in all her glory - white chef’s jacket and disheveled up-do.  And I shrieked.  I actually shrieked.


So, Alex, if you were wondering who the woman was that shrieked in your restaurant, that was just me J

Begrudgingly,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment